Friday, September 23, 2011

The Very Powerful Weapon of Guilt

Before you read this I do not want you to think that this is a guilt posting about you. If it comes across that way well YOU CHOSE to read it. Also, if you do feel guilty that is your issue not mine. If it offends you I am sorry that was not my intention, or motive. Scripture is offensive because it holds us accountable for our actions and words. I am writing it because it is my opinion alone, and I care enough about people that I want them to truly see what it is being asked of them and what they are asking others to do.

Guilt is a powerful weapon in this country. We use guilt for everything when we are trying to get something from someone. We put a lot of guilt on ourselves when we don’t do something that we know in our heart is right. We also know that it would be offensive if we did go against Him. I think for most Christians this is a hard concept for us to understand, and we deal with this a lot. Our hearts are being trained to give all the time, and we when take a moment to do something for ourselves we feel guilt about it.


I attended a study called “deceived” the other night. This particular night was about the book “The Secret.” I’m sure most of us have heard about it, because Oprah promoted it and pushed it. The author has tried to say that it is based on the secret that Abraham was trying to teach us. “If we think it then it will be given to us,” and they used scripture to back it up. This is a just another form of the prosperity gospel. This book is where you are teaching yourself to give into every selfish desire, and sin. She said everything that is bad in your life is not your fault because you have attracted it to yourself, and you should blame other people for it.This is the complete opposite of what Christ is trying to teach us. He wants us to look at our own heart before accusing another. He wants us to reverse the circumstance to what we did wrong, so we can fix the mistake.

Our guilt in this country is ruining us, and it has been for a very long time. Now that it is crunch time we have two opposing sides that are not going to back down this time. The smart thing to do would be to remove yourself from the entire situation, and really think about each one of these programs to see if you would actually give to them.

I am tired of being made to feel guilty for our life, and that is my fault because I allowed it to happen. I really dislike it when people try to use scripture or God in the mix when they have no idea what they are talking about. The truly charitable act would be not taking anything from anyone when you don’t need it. The truly charitable act of our leaders would be to serve our country without taking money for it. If you believe in something so strongly you shouldn’t ask to be paid for it you should want to do it because you care deeply about it.

Every president takes advantage of the American people when they ask for more than what they can give. Every leader that can support their own lifestyle and asks for more from individuals is showing their desire of greed. If this were President Bush asking for more money from us would you do it? We know giving isn’t just about money, sometimes it is just the act of doing something for another. If I heard a presidential candidate say I am not going to take a salary in office while we are in this economic crisis I would probably vote for them.  I have the same question for those that are working for charities. Are you working for your own money or doing it because you really care about the cause?

When we give we are to do it without any benefit to ourselves because we love our neighbor. I expect too much out of people, because I expect a lot from myself. This is my issue. I expect it because I have MS. I don’t want to ever catch myself using that as I excuse for why I don’t do something. I feel tremendous guilt when I tell someone no because I am physically too tired to do it. I feel guilt when I can’t give more than I want to. That is terrible feeling. It is sin.

I want individuals to think about their motives behind something, or why they are doing something they do. Sometimes the best gift we can give each other is the ability to look at the bigger picture and not think about our own heart. If we truly believe in something in this country why aren’t we doing it, but we expect others do it? Words are words. Actions speak far louder than words. Our actions show what are willing to do and what we aren’t willing to do. It can be really good and really bad in the long run.

If we run and hide from our fears we have lost the battle. If we aren’t willing to admit the things below about ourselves then we have lost the battle. This is why scripture is offensive to people; including myself. When we go through a trial what can we learn about ourselves from during that trial?

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.” Matthew 7:1-2


“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” James 1:1-27

“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19-21

“For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.” James 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment