Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Robin Hood Theory

The redistribution of wealth is the topic of conversation now. When it comes to money people really get crazy; including me. Our president keeps changing the rules of this game. He has gone from an individual that makes 250,000 to 200,000 a year. I have a question though; where does this end? The below is in chapter 19 of the book of Luke. This is interesting to me, because everyone will have a different interpretation of it.


11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a] ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’ 14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’ 15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it. 16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’ 17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’ 18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’ 19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’ 20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’ 22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’ 24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’ 25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’ 26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’” Luke 19:11-27


Our president’s definition of wealth is different. He has an actual number for it. As you can read above Jesus didn’t care how much you had. You could have nothing in the bank, and it could still be taken from you. This is why this concept bothers me so much. There have to be clear rules to this theory that our leaders are talking about, and us to accept as law.
Are they saying that it is just the individual, or married individuals? Your tax return may say 200,000 because you are filing jointly? Do you separate it then? What if it is a one income household and it is a family of 4, plus they are caring for an elderly parent? What is the bigger picture? It is the Robin Hood theory - steal from the rich and give to the poor. What is our definition of being rich? Just think about the poor when Robin Hood stole from the rich. King John wanted more from the poor because Robin was stealing from the rich. He was a tyrant. What if George Bush had said he believes in “spreading the wealth around?”

I have tried to think of an example of something that will affect each one of us (maybe). I love coffee, because I don’t think I could make it through the day if I didn’t have it. The CEO of Starbucks is convicting other profitable companies in the United States not to donate to any campaign until Washington gets this spending under control. I know some thinks that if you tax the rich more it won’t affect them, but it will. The current costs of your goods and services have tax built into it, as well as, the sales tax on the product. What if it was there for you to actually see?

A cup of coffee costs on average over 3 dollars if you get a “specialty” drink. What if Starbucks capital gains tax goes up, and they decide to charge 3 more dollars for the same drink order, plus sales tax. The actual receipt should say “the extra 3 dollars goes to the United States government thank you for your donation.” Are you going to stop going; probably? What if he decides to shut down the company and thousands of more individuals lose their jobs? Who is going to pay for the redistribution of wealth?

Why is this a good idea? Is it because it is a good deed? Well wouldn’t a good deed be to go to someone that you know is suffering financially and give them the money? Is it because you think it is a sin that one person should amass that much wealth? If anything the above scripture shows is that those that have amassed large amounts are giving back somewhere or they wouldn’t have the wealth.
When our leaders suggest this to us the question should really be; are you giving half or more of your wealth to someone else? When our president says that I really want to see the checks that he has written to those families that are need that he is suggesting that we give to already through taxes. I want to know what he is doing, because if he isn’t doing it then he is hypocrite in God’s eyes.

What are you motives for believing that? What is your in heart that you think that this is a wonderful idea? The donation drive we just did taught me a lot about giving. It wasn’t just the fact that people do give, it also taught me that not everyone wants to do that. To me there is nothing wrong with that. What if I had said to each person that I put the word out to “you have to give because it is the right thing to do, and I know you can give?” How many friends do you think I would have? My friends that know scripture would have ripped me upside and down if I had done that. I would have deserved it if I had done that. I do not give to everyone, and everything that someone tells me about. I promise you.

Here is a question to think about for the day. If you were not obligated by law to pay taxes would you pay taxes to the government for their programs? Remember you can’t pick and choose the programs. You have to give one lump sum that will go to every program, and you don’t have a choice where it goes. Would you still do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment