Saturday, September 17, 2011

Christian

Below is the definition of Christian in the Webster dictionary. It is listed as an adjective about one's relationship, or definition of themselves. I had a conversation about what defines a Christian in someone's life; is it the cross around the neck, cross on the wall, or a fish on your car? We also talked about if you have been a member of the church for a long time does that make you a christian? A new article I read was that we like to "design" scripture, because we are a designer society to fit our lives.


Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus’ teachings.
Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christ likes.
Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
Showing a loving concern for others; humane.

The term Christian actually only appears in the bible 2 to 3 times depends on the version that you read. The term came from roman times and it stuck. My thought process about this isn't so much about what we are willing to do for another it is more about what we are willing to do for HIM. If we think about it that way it is a little different. If we think well is this what he wants, or I am doing it just to make me feel good on the inside? If we know it to be true in scripture and it is wrong, then it is wrong. I do quite a number of things that are wrong. I am trying to break the habit of calling myself that, because although that is what society defines us as followers of him that is just a label.

About 9 months ago I started feeling uncomfortable in our church. I ignored it, because I was comfortable and I felt that GOD really wasn't telling me that. How I was living was really starting to affect my relationship and faith in HIM. The stress of life was getting to me. I pulled out for a long time, and just went through the motions of living that label. About 8 weeks ago I read a book that changed my thought process with HIM. Since then two events have occurred that pushed me to no longer ignore HIM. HIS patience with me was done. HE had been laying those things on my heart for a long time. Once they happened it was done and I've moved  forward. I couldn't compromise and change scripture to fit my needs and not HIS. Believe or not, when I finally did it and accepted what HE wanted I had peace. That nagging feeling is gone.

Just because we profess our belief doesn't mean we are going to heaven. That is a great lie that churches have taught for a long time, and it is disservice to the congregation. My husband and I only went to 2 churches in our "church shopping." first of all I need it slammed into my head what scripture is really saying, and not just the mushy parts. I have to hear all of it whether I want to or not. If I lose my temper and have anger in my heart towards another I have already lost. HE doesn't care what the offense is. HE is going to hold me accountable for it. I fear HIM way more than I do people.

This bog is offensive to people. My views in politics are offensive to people. I only talk about GOD with others that I know can handle it, and are willing to hold me accountable to scripture. Politics I only talk about with people that have the same passion as me. My dad and I love to talk about politics. We even yell at each other, and we believe the same things. I was going to start a new bog just about politics but a friend emailed and told me I shouldn't do it. She said it will corrupt my heart and pull you away from HIM. She is right so I didn't write it. This is my journey with HIM, and that is why each one of was made to be different.

When I write this bog I write when I feel led to write something. I have written many, many postings that I have never posted. I wrote them out of anger, guilt, or just plain hate. I knew they were wrong so I didn't post it. The individuals that I have in my life are the ones I trust the most. They are willing to tell me when I am wrong. They aren't doing it to hurt me they are doing because they love me deeply. Those are the kind of people you want in your life. Humility is love.  If we are willing to say we are sorry, or to forgive someone that is love. That is courage.

Freedom is when you release your self from what the world thinks you should be, and whom GOD wants you to be. My heart will be a work in progress until the day I die. I know what tempts me the most and he is patient with me. I know he is. The other stuff that I don't realize HE is finding ways to put it in front my eyes. My anger is always going to be a problem for me. Giving too much of myself is always going to be a problem. Getting hurt too easily is always going to be a problem. Putting myself out there, and learning when not to is going to be a problem for me.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment