Monday, October 17, 2011

it is what it is

We all stumble. We all make mistakes that we know are not worthy of God. We know that our relationship is a constant work in progress. The idea that a Christian is perfect amazes me. As with any relationship we have to nurture what we are willing to give and not to give when we love someone, or care about them. If he wanted us to be perfect he would not have allowed eve to be deceived by the serpent. Free will was already in our DNA. The manipulation of hearts and minds is a hard thing to fight if we aren’t able to discern right from wrong.

I just read an article about how society has turned “wrongs” into “rights”. The thing about this is that it is an excuse not to do the right thing, because for most we don‘t know what the right thing is anymore. it much easier to do the stuff that is wrong that is offensive to him, because it makes us feel good. My question is do we ever feel any guilt about the action? Does it continue to pop up in our minds over and over again? That is God’s way of telling us that it is wrong and we have to work on it. I have those things about myself just like anyone else that make me feel good, but he doesn't like it. I know and understand what they are. I acknowledge the good and bad of myself, but I must try to overcome those obstacles. Sometimes it is what is, and all we can do is keep trying to overcome it.

For years I have buried my guilt or hatred of myself instead of embracing what is good about myself. For the first time in my life I love my heart. I love my passion. I love my beauty. I understand my heart and mind, plus what I am capable of doing and not doing. We do things and then judge another for doing the same thing. It just seems we aren't capabale of seeing two sides of every story. We aren't able to compromise or work on anything anymore. Why?

This past Friday I spoke about my uncle. I adored my uncle but that was not always the case. He was not a perfect man and he made many mistakes. His good heart outweighed those mistakes. He made choices that he thought were right for his life, and what he felt was the right thing to do. I know some think that he gave too much and he shouldn’t have done that. I thought that on many occasions, but it wasn’t my life or my choices. I learned that from him. I learned that regardless of the mistakes we make we have to move forward, forgive ourselves, and the other person. We have to remember that people are human and they will make mistakes.

The abuse of power in this country is amazing to me. We as a nation have allowed those that are in power to abuse our kindness and love of country. It breaks my heart to see individuals suffering financially. In one sense I can understand why we give so much, because we are a country that does that. We were built on the foundation of Christ so why wouldn’t we be that way? We have turned those beliefs though into the manipulation and control of another. If I do something wrong I have to own up to it. It is not someone else’s fault.

In my opinion we have given too much to those in power and their greed for more is not ever going to be enough. We have to see it for what it is. Both political parties have done this for years, and none of us really told them to stop. Both sides are to blame because we have given too much control through policy, regulation and laws. We can argue about it just as much we want, but arguing never solves the problem it just creates more.

Sooner or later we and the governing authorities are going to have accept accountability for their actions and what it has done to this nation. We had to have so much more and most of us are in huge amounts of debt because of it. Our fear of the unknown is showing. I see both sides of what is happening in this country. There are individuals fighting to keep the very programs that sustain them financially and there are those that are saying we can’t give you anymore. I haven’t seen too many individuals accept the fact that we are going to have to sacrifice.  Where did this idea come from that all things in life just fall into our laps without work? I’m not just talking about money. We expect too much from people that are willing to give.

A confession. Friday night I drank way too much. I was nervous about what I was going to say about my uncle, because I wanted to make him and my family proud. I wanted it to be seen how much I miss him, love him and how proud I am of the man that he was. I was also nervous about seeing people that I have not seen in a long time. No one held a gun to my head. I made the choice to do that, and the next day I paid for it. Too bad, so sad there was a consequence to my choice. The speech went fine, so I did accomplish that.

What sounded great or felt great at the time doesn’t always work out the way we thought it would, or should. We just have to keep living and try to overcome our obstacles. That is all he is his asking of us. Don’t make it so hard. When we read scripture it is not to hold the masses accountable it is to hold ourselves accountable for what we do and don‘t do. We have to accept our faults, our mistakes, learn from our mistakes, and move forward. We have to embrace the beauty that is in inside us. He wants us to feel and cherish his love.

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 corinthians 12:9


No comments:

Post a Comment