Thursday, January 20, 2011

death and time

we are to live each day as if it were our last. i don't do this and i don't think most of us do. we are to live our lives with the goal of reaching heaven everyday. last night in gary thomas's sermon he talked about our denial of death. we live as though we are going to have an infinite amount of days to live. this is a morbid topic i know, but i actually had not thought about death this way before.

he used two visuals for our imagination. would you have an affair knowing that you would be facing GOD within a few hours? would you meet GOD in a drunken stupor if you were to be facing GOD within a few hours? to be honest these visuals scared the crap out of me, not that i done those things that day, but i thought "oh my" what have i done today that glorified GOD? well i don't know if i can do enough everyday to glorify HIM, but i do know that just taking the time in my choices does glorify HIM.

i fear GOD way more than i do people. if i am choosing time away from my loved ones when i should be choosing time for my loved ones than i have failed. my immediate family comes before all others. my time with GOD comes before my immediate family. i get up early each day, so that i can spend time with GOD reading scripture and writing this. i do this not just for personal wisdom, but in the hope that someone will value GOD more. i also do this early in the morning, so i am not taking the time away from my children.

scripture tells us that we do not know when CHRIST will come again, so we must prepare ourselves each day for HIS coming. scripture also tells us that we must prepare ourselves each day, because we do not know when we will die. we must be prepared for when HE holds us accountable for our choices. repentance for our choices is most important when it comes to this, so i hope most of us take the time to repent, or seek forgiveness.

my ultimate goal is time on my marriage. the time will come when my children are grown and if i haven't made the time with my husband to make our marriage grow, than what will we have? neither one of us knows when that time will be taken away, so we must live each day together as if it were our last. if i choose something over my marriage, or allow something to interfere in my marriage then GOD is going to hold me accountable for this. in my opinion this will be my ultimate judgement; what i allowed to come in between me and my husband.

when i have an attack i have to go back and look at how i spent my time up to that attack. did i rest enough? did i take on more than i should have? did i allow stresses, or situations to interfere with my time? if the answer to any those questions is that i did or didn't then i have failed. i need to rid my life of it, or make the effort to choose my time wisely. when i am sick that takes time away from my husband and my children. that is something that i'm not willing to give up.

"As no one has power over the wind to contain it, so no one has power over the time of their death. As no one is discharged in time of war, so wickedness will not release those who practice it." ecclesiastes 8:8

"He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority." acts 1:7

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord" acts 3:19

"Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God" 1 corinthians 4:5

No comments:

Post a Comment