Thursday, February 2, 2012

Paying it Forward

Cain spoke to Abel his brother. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him. Then the LORD said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?” (Genesis 4:8-9 ESV)
I started our taxes and we will be paying more to Uncle Sam. I am annoyed at the fact that we have to write a check that will be flushed down the toilet. We knew we would have to pay more, and I am not really angry that I have to because I expected it. As a citizen by law we have to pay it, and we will. I was looking at the amount and I was thinking about how I would love to just be able to give that money to members of our military. On Sean Hannity, Rick Santorum was talking about the above verse - “being our brother’s keeper.” The government definition is that no one in the United States should ever be lacking anything, so they will make it possible through taxing others and using a credit card.

Here is our question for the day; if we profess Christ and we are waiting for someone else to do our acts of giving we don’t get it. God changed the rules when he sent his son; you and you alone are responsible for caring for another when he is calling us to do so. Not the government. Are we doing our actions because the church or another told us do it, or because it is in our hearts to do? Are we paying it forward in your actions? Not everyone is meant to care for everyone. He is not calling us to do that.

He made each of us unique in our spiritual gifts. One can be great at cooking and another can be great at teaching about the glory of Christ. Not everyone is supposed to do what another does. I have friends that ride for individuals that have MS from Houston to Austin every year. I have friends that teach their children in their homes and they have an incredible gift for it. I know people that support other families financially that they aren’t even related to. I know people that serve our vets every day of their lives. I know people that visit the elderly on a weekly basis that they don’t even know. The great part about this is they may not profess Christ in front of others, but they are doing acts of Christ.

Here is a test of your faith. When you are stopped at a stoplight and you see a homeless person. Do you hear in your mind give that person money? Do you do it, or do you give them a bottle of water or food? Right there you failed him. He commanded you to give them money and chose the opposite. We are equal to that person on the street corner. We immediately won’t give them money because we think we are enabling them to buy drugs, or alcohol. How many of us rely on prescription drugs to get the through the day? How many of us actually rely on alcohol to get through our life? How are we any different? We’re not because we just trying to fill a need in our heart that only God can fill. That is actually one of my new goals is to get off my meds that have nothing to do with my MS. I only have 2 MS drugs and that should be all I am taking.

We can’t control how we are to give of ourselves to another. We can’t tell another how they are to do it. That is not our job that is God’s job. I am curious about career Christians. Christians have a knack for saying what another person is or isn’t doing. My question is what is in us that thinks we aren’t doing the exact same thing? If you tell someone they are selfish the question should be reversed, and we should ask ourselves “what I am selfish about.” What is in your heart that makes you think you aren’t selfish? My husband and I have a big problem with this. We argue about what each other isn’t doing when in reality we should be looking at our own actions and how we aren’t following through in something we said we would do. We both are being selfish.

When I got sick I did not for moment think that I didn’t deserve be sick. I knew I should be. I knew that there was reason why God gave it to me and I am still trying figure it out. I am still battling in my heart about what else I need to give up, and it will be this way until the day I die.

This past Sunday we witnessed two of the greatest acts of generosity I ever seen. Two gentlemen were given a blessing that they had been praying for and others had been. Two men that is beautiful in their love of God. They are both ex-felons. Good men that made mistakes. Christ changed them and they are in a church with individuals that know they are just as guilty of mistakes.

Our pastor called it “the kingdom of God” has come to you today. We can talk about scripture as much we want, but guess what that doesn’t make us a Christian. We have to live it and treat each person as we would want to be treated. People know when we being fake and that’s what’s really sad about it because those are the people that God calls hypocrites. No one is perfect and most of us are just trying to get by. Give people a break. It is exhausting trying to keep up with how another thinks how our own relationship should be with Christ.

Think of a gift that you have that would benefit someone else. Call that person that you have been thinking about, but you have not called because you were busy. Drop a note in the mail and say thank you for being a friend. Order a meal for someone that really needs a break - other MOMS really needs this one. Give someone a hug. Look a cashier, or someone else that you come in contact with today and ask them they how are doing. Listen to them. Ask someone if you can pray for them. Don’t be scared of the political correctness of saying God bless you, or can me pray for you today. Get over the fear.

“In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35





No comments:

Post a Comment