Wednesday, November 28, 2012

When Our Plates Are Full

I read an article recently that said 45% of Americans would like to opt out of Christmas; the gifts. This year I am sure most of us are more concerned about what our government is going to come up with that affects every part of our finances, and the people that supply it. Most of us are becoming uncomfortable, filled with anxiety, and worry about the future; this includes me. In reality most of us would like to ignore what is right in front of our faces.

God says not to worry about the future, but I would have to say that it is really hard not to do. The truth is we are sinning against him when we don't leave it to him, and don't worry. On Black Friday this year I went out for a little while. My heart just wasn't in it.  I looked around and found a couple of things, got it, and now I wonder why. The main thought was "what do you get for people that have everything already?" This thought is still plaguing me as we get closer to Christmas morning. I don't want to spend the money knowing that costs are going up just to live, and I don't like the thought that people would do that for me. That is what bothers me the most.

That is where the heart of the matter lies. I am no longer comfortable with the excess of life. Sure it is great to have nice things, but then I look around and think; why? The hard part is what people will expect on the day Christ was born. The stress and exhaustion of it all is overwhelming. I don't even have the Christmas tree up yet, and I keep thinking "I really need to get the tree up." I would like to be Mary and not Martha. The American way however is not that.

In David Platt's book Radical he describes the American Church, or the American version of Jesus.

"A nice middle-class, American Jesus. A Jesus who doesn't mind materialism and who would never call us to give away everything we have. A Jesus who would never call us to forsake our closest relationships so that he receives all of our affection. A Jesus who is fine with nominal devotion that does not infringe on our comforts, because, after all he loves us just the way we are. A Jesus who wants us to be balanced, who wants us to avoid dangerous extremes, and who, for that matter wants us to avoid danger altogether. A Jesus who brings us comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American dream. But do you and I realize what we are doing at this point? We are molding Jesus into our image. He is beginning to look a lot like us, because, after all, that is whom we are most comfortable with."

Too be honest I don't know if I am very comfortable with this version anymore. Actually, I know I'm not. I have lost the motivation for the race. I have been thinking about that race and trying to figure out why more is never enough. I have been trying to look it in the face and say "why isn't this enough?" I keep thinking about God's provision in Philippians 4, and wonder if I am stressing over his provision, or what I think he should be providing. I have food, shelter and clothing so that is taken care of - the basics. So, why should I be stressed out about provisions that weren't even in the bible. That should be our question - the definition of his provision and ours.

"I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen." Philippians 4:10-20


The general consensus would be that family, friends, and society says we need more so we just fall into line. We play the game and then relief comes in some shape or form that we did it without rocking the boat. We usually are too tired to fight it any longer. I have to admit that I wonder if what we think we need and have is ever really enough.

Do we love enough? Are we kind enough? Are we generous enough? Are we Godly in the eyes of others? Are we beautiful? Are we too ugly? Are we dressed right? Am I too fat? Do we eat the right foods? Are we pro this or that? Did we support someone enough in their trials? Are we ever really good enough for those we are tying to impress? Will we ever be good enough for what people think we should be? Do we have enough guilt, or do we feel guilt at all? Are we grateful for what we have? Are we thankful? Do we feel compassion or empathy?

The biggest question of all is do we even feel anything at all anymore? What do we need the most that we aren't getting, and it usually isn't the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment