Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Ten Commandments

10. “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”(Exodus 20:16-17 ESV)

On Sunday our pastor talked about the ten commandments. I have not read them for a very long time. He asked the congregation that, and I thought "I haven't read them long time." I only listed the 10th above, not because the others are not important, but this really seem to be plaguing our nation. The first commandment is the most important; Love GOD first, and no other. We make it harder than it is to follow them. We do that not God. I do that all the time.

1. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me." (Exodus 20:2-3 ESV)

We had communion last Sunday and our pastor said something to me that he felt led to say. "I am not to feel guilt for the gifts God has blessed me with." Guilt over our blessings is Satan. I have a major problem with guilt - always have had it. When I was younger I felt guilt for acting like a fool when I knew better. I wanted it my way without thinking of the consequence of my heart later. Now I have guilt for having a very, blessed life. My husband told me you take on other's suffering too much. I hurt for people.

The last couple of weeks have been super crazy. We sold the old house, and we moved to the new. On the day our pastor said that to me I really needed to hear that. I was supposed to be in Romania, and I had been reading the updates of the trip. The guilt of our new home, and the things we have was hurting my heart. I wanted to be able to give it all to them. My husband said I am glad you didn't go, not because they faced extreme heat, but because it would have broken your heart for a very, very long time. God didn't want to me go right now, and this may be one of the reasons.

Below is the story of the rich young ruler. Christ calls him out on the fact that money and possessions are his God. Christ tells him you don't have it in your heart to give up everything you own if my Father commands you. In the eyes of God if you have two coats, two blankets, and extra money in the bank you are very rich. Are you willing to take the coat out, put it in your car, and give it away?  Are you willing to take the blanket to someone that needs it? Are you willing to take the extra money from your account and give it to someone that needs it?

For me to accept that from someone else is a huge deal for me. I would not have be able to do that a year and half ago. I would have been furious and thought "he doesn't know me and how much I love God." Individuals that love Christ see things in others that love Christ that they need to fix. The hard part is whether or not you can accept it. Rebukes, criticism, or what ever you would like to call it God commands his children to do for another that loves him. He wants us to help each other in our walks so we don't stumble. We do not think of criticism for our lives as a form of love. We think of it as offensive and hurtful. Sometimes it is, and sometimes maybe what the other person is true. The sad part is if we call it like we see it we resent that person and hold grudge because we think we are better than them.

We have to have enough guts to say the truth of scripture and enough guts to receive it. No one wants to be held accountable for their offenses any more. No one wants to admit that they may be doing something that is wrong when it comes to the Father that we profess to love. The last commandment is very important. For those that believe that the political system should create laws for morality and for the good of the nation are lying to themselves. You are breaking this commandment everyday regarding what society thinks God would want you to do.

We all have something that we need to let go of whether it is our need for what another has, or the guilt we feel for what we have been blessed with. A friend of ours once said "remember it is God's money, not ours, but his.
"He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
 And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”
(Matthew 19:18-24 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment