Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Motive

I have been thinking a lot about our motives behind our actions. Motive behind the words we choose, or the passions we support. Moral vs. immoral, ethical vs. unethical. What we say yes to shows our character. What we say no to shows our character. What we support shows our character. What we don't support shows our character. Most of our motives or actions show how we love God, and how we are willing to uphold him vs others. We have to learn how to discern what God wants from us. It is very hard to do. Sometimes we aren't going to be able to do the things we want to do, or what others think we should do.

For the mind that is set on the flesh (ourselves) is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Romans 8:7


"The Unbeliever's problem is much deeper than acts of disobedience, which are merely outward manifestations of inner fleshly compulsions. His basic Inclinations and orientation toward gratifying himself - however outwardly religious or moral he may appear - are directly hostile to God . Even the good deeds unbelievers perform are not truly a fulfillment of God's law, because they are produced by the flesh, for selfish reasons, and from a heart that is in rebellion."

The unbeliever to me is someone that professes Christ, but actually never lives their lives that way. Their lives are a constant contradiction, and then they wonder why they don't have peace. They say he is there, but their actions and responses go against what scripture has said is wrong. They usually feel a great amount anger towards others, because they didn't get their way. They live their life as though they don't have to be accountable to him. That is what Christ calls a hypocrite, and he came here to confront that. He threw it in people's faces of how they really loved God, and they didn't.

 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:34-39

I pay attention to individuals passions, because it defines how much they love God.  How much they value his approval over their family, friends, and society. At some point our passions become excuses to not to change for him, not to love him the way he requires, and not to give up our lives for him. God is not here to serve us. We are here to serve him in all things. We can sin enough that he takes us from this life. Some of the churches in the United States do not say we will suffer for him. We are not taught that we should feel guilt when we disobey him. We are taught that every choice we make is the right choice. It is the definition of "I love me more than God."

I get up in the middle of the night to nurture my relationship with God, because he requires that of me. That is my responsibility to him. I get up to repent, and ask for forgiveness for what I have done wrong. I fear accountability with him, and I should. My biggest prayer is that I come to him with humility, beg for forgiveness for hurting him, and that I took his gift for granted. I want him to show me those things, so I can give more of myself to him. Are we willing to do that if we say we love him? We have forgotten in our journeys the repentance part, and just skip to the grace part. We are so sure that he will forgive us without repenting.

We have choices in all things. How we react and treat someone shows how we love God, and that person. Sometimes, however people are going to get to a point where they are not going to put up with it anymore. Why would you do that to someone you love, and to God? If we are not willing to see how our choices affect someone else we don't understand God. There is a verse where Paul says that you can give a person one or two chances, and then you can walk away.

 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, Titus 3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment