Tuesday, August 30, 2011

what if the church is the rich young ruler?

Over the years I have looked at the opulence of the Catholic Church, and have frowned upon it. I thought of all that money that could be used to help those in need. Now I look at all churches that way. Some appear to be in the business of appearance more than what the gospel teaches us. One of my new questions I ask myself is; didn’t Christ teach us not to accumulate so many earthly possessions?


Since January I have actually taken a huge step back in church involvement. I voluntarily did this. I just couldn’t keep up physically, or emotionally any longer. The biggest reason is because I was not a cheerful giver. I was doing most of it because I was told that that was expected of me as member of the church.

Our nation is in great need. If a church is asking for more money in hard times to cover the needs of more in the community, but are not cutting some of their non essential overhead question it. If you are seated in a pew on Sunday mornings take a look around you to see what your church is spending money on. Does it reflect scripture, and God‘s instruction about money? If we can’t back it up by scripture than it shouldn’t be there.

I feel like I have woken up from a dream, and I am trying to shake that groggy feeling that you have afterwards. I am looking around communities and wondering where the big churches are that aren’t supporting the needs of the nation. I have been trying to hold the government accountable for what they aren’t doing, but not questioning the church about what they should be doing. My question is if you are member of a church that is still very prosperous, but you see a nation still struggling where is your church?

We as Christians are to hold each accountable in our actions. I am going to lay it on our hearts about what we are choosing to ignore, and not questioning? I have changed my views about tithing, money, membership and giving all in the last month. We have a friend that said it very simply; our money is God’s money. Just think about how we would spend our money if we all thought that way. Would we still buy more than we needed? We would turn a blind eyed to someone else struggling? What if Christ was standing with you the entire time while you spent money? Would we change our spending habits?

I was given a financial gift at the beginning of this year. Well I decided that I could either follow the example of the individual that gave it to me, or just use it on crap that didn’t matter. Some of it I did use on crap that didn’t matter, and I am annoyed by it now. I bought these pillows that are beautiful. They are destroyed now because I have 2 boys that don’t care about the pillows, and two dogs that like to lay on them. I could have given that to money to someone that really needed it. I am in the mindset now of questioning how we spend the money. Those that I know that have accepted Christ into their lives, and are complaining about what is not be given to them I am going to question. Please look into your own hearts about what God is asking you to give up.

What scripture has taught me in the last few months is that we complain more about what we think we are entitled to more than what we need to do as a nation to really give up. Is it any wonder that society says that Christians are hypocrites when they see mega churches that aren’t giving that to the community? In the instance of our church I am questioning why they are asking us to buy shoes for the community and canned goods, but have a workout facility and theatrical shows for the congregation. We can preach as much as we want about scripture, but if we aren’t individually willing to live that way then we probably need to keep our mouths shut.

The old saying put your money where mouth is, is a conviction that I think each family or individual really needs to think about. I don’t worry about money like I used to. I have worried about health care costs, but in reality God has always taken care of me when I trusted Him. I can complain about education cuts, but I can also walk into the school and donate money. I can talk about helping those, but what am I willing to do for another family if they need help. The interesting thing is God doesn't want you to give anything unless you are cheerful about it. He may ask about you it though.

“21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” 25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”27 Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?” 28 Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30 but many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:21-30





















No comments:

Post a Comment